Rss Feed
Tweeter button
Facebook button
Stumbleupon button

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home2/skott/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160

Two And A Half Months To Go – Are We Ready?

It is officially the middle of March and we have two and a half months to go before saying goodbye and heading out on our adventure around the world. The trip now consumes more and more of our thoughts and our giant to do list runs through my mind like movie credits as I try to fall asleep at night. In some ways it feels unbelievable to think that in less than 3 months we are leaving a combined 10 years in our company, great salaries, a home that is finally near the end of our phase 1 renos, fabulous families and great friends. Some would say that we are at the age (26 & 34) that we should be considering kids, building up our RRSP’s and growing our pensions in the hopes of emulating the frolicking couple on the beach in the “Freedom 55″ commercial. On the flip side, many have said that they admire our choice and the conversation opens up to reveal a small glimpse of their own personal wanderlust. As we swap stories of places we’ve been, or places we want to go, I feel my excitement rising and I know that this is exactly what we’re supposed to be doing. When I returned from Africa 3 years ago, I always wondered how long I would be able to settle before the travel bug bit again.

Despite our conviction that this is exactly what we should be doing in life right now, it is still challenging to think through all the logistics of leaving our life in Regina behind and closing off our obligations. For me, the first step was to finish teaching my spin classes at the gym. It was so hard not to put my name on the new schedule but we’re leaving halfway through and I could probably use the extra time I spend learning choreography to pack the junk in the basement that Skott keeps kindly asking me to attend to. We’ve begun interviewing potential tenants for our house, discussing arrangements with Skott’s brother for our rental properties and trying to get our business in order to pass on to a new generation of Advertising Consultants at work. Whew!! When you sum it all up, it’s exhausting!!

Then there are the logistics for the trip itself. At this point there are still a lot of grey areas as to our itinerary but I think we’ve both realized that a lot of it will probably just come together as we get moving. Despite my controlling nature, I’ve always managed to function in a state of organized chaos anyways…probably because I’m also chronically late and love to procrastinate. It makes for an interesting combination!! Whether it’s Central America that ends up being first or Europe, I think we’ll be ready to take the plunge. Until then, it’s a race against time. By May 31st, the official last day of our radio careers…though there may be a few loose ends that didn’t get tied, we’ll need to be ready to let things go and set sail on our new adventure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8 Responses to “Two And A Half Months To Go – Are We Ready?”

1. Erica April 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

I get the evil looks from family members who were expecting children ASAP. We’ve been married for 7 years now. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal with us leaving since we haven’t had any yet.

Almost there guys! Time will fly by!
    Erica recently posted..RTWNOW and already reporting an adventure…

• Skott April 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Yeah fortunately we have one awesome niece, and three superstar nephews on my side of things to keep my mom and dad busy. Kids will come, no doubt…just not yet….

2. Trish April 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Skott and Shawna! As I said, I will fully enjoy living vicariously through you in the coming months. Love the site, can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures. For now, navigating pot holes in Regina will have to do – and that is quite an adventure! Congratulations.

• Skott and Shawna April 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Oh indeed it is….we just hope our cars are intact for mid-June before we give them to our family members to look after…these potholes are crazy! It is probably similar to driving somewhere in Turkmenistan or something, I am sure of it. Thanks for the compliments…we will keep you and Darren posted on where we are at….feel free to visit us somewher e in Africa???

• Trish April 18, 2011 at 2:13 am #

Hmmmm. Well there is some discussion around going on a Habitat for Humanity build somewhere…but not sure if we will do that this year. Darren would love to go back to Africa. It’s exciting that you now have your first flights booked. Wow, June 18 will come fast.

3. Jaime April 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

EEEeeeee its getting closer… how freaking awesome!!!

As for everything you are leaving behind and what you are doing. Yes you will continue to feel that way until you are on the road. I know I did but now that I am on the road I dont regret one bit of it.

As for your itinerary dont stress find out what regions you are visiting and plan once you are in that region. Its so different planning on a map at home than when you are in the city and looking at bus/ferry schedules to see where you can go next. If you start in Central America I will be able to give ya handlfull of tips. If you start in Europe it means you could possible join us at La Tomatina in Spain on August 31st!!!
    Jaime recently posted..Photo Round Up – Week 6

• Skott and Shawna April 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

Great points about not planning too much Jaime! We have no doubt, our itineraries will change several times while on the road….
      Not too sure about La Tomatina, but actually timing might work….. we plan on spending a month walking the Camino de Santiago, so if our knees hold out….it might be a possibility.

4. Michael Hodson April 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Looking ready to me. Sounds like a good bit of excitement coming down the road soon!
    Michael Hodson recently posted..My Favorite Spam Comments Part II